Born Again..as a Father !


       Was it magic that I was just witnessing, I couldn’t fathom what I was going through. I did not understand or figure out the moment that was unfolding itself into.
       I was holding my new born in my hands for the first time. This beautiful brown little one with a tuft of hair neatly combed to one side was nestling in my arms. I was looking at him sleeping peacefully. And he was oblivious to all of the excitement running thru me. He looked like an angel all nicely ensconced in the soft white cloth from head to toe with only his face peeking out to the outside world. Few strands of soft silky hair which escaped the expert combing were perched lightly upon his forehead. Am not sure if those little lips were smiling or it was the natural curvature but then they charmed me no end. The cheeks were thin and felt warm as I stroked them lightly with the back of my index finger, careful not to wake him up.
       And then without warning, a wonderful thing happened. I was completely unprepared for the sequence of events that took place – all so in an instant. The little guy who was asleep till then wiggled in my arms twisting to the left first, then to the right and finally finding nowhere to free up his tiny arms and legs. The eyes flew open and looked at me. I found myself staring directly into those little dark almond shaped brown eyes. He looked at me, blinking those eye lashes a few times as if searching for a recognition. I followed his gaze as he turned his head looking at me from left to right, then as he traced my noseline to my mouth. He then returned back to my eyes and in a split second I saw his eyes narrow down as the corners crinkled and the little mouth curved into a sweet innocent smile. It went right through my soul and warmed my heart no end as I stood riveted to the spot. I felt a tremendous surge of love run thru me as I smiled back to him. In that very moment I felt my heart go light and my spirits were lifted as I just watched. I opened my mouth to speak but the lump in my mouth did not allow any sound to escape as joy finally streamed its way out thru my eyes. I couldn’t hold it any longer. As then I managed to get my laughter going finally, it amused the little one no end as the toothless smile just got bigger. I was completely oblivious to the time that passed in the instant, but by the time the euphoria had passed and I could see clearly again, the little guy was closing his eyes again as if falling back to sleep again. I kissed his forehead lightly taking in the fascinating smells that a baby is associated with and to which I would be accustomed to be in a short time.
       As I looked back at him, the once open eyes were now a single line of eye lashes mingled together as if signifying that he was already into his fairyland. The tiny mouth went back to being the slight line of curvature that it was earlier. But the smile on my lips remained. I had been witness to one of the most wonderful sights that I could have ever have seen, leaving a warm feeling in my core. The connection seemed complete and a beautiful bond had been shaped into being. I felt calm, serene and happy. I felt blessed. Those few moments had changed me forever as I was like a new human being altogether. 
       Felt as if I was reborn again – reborn as a father !

Comments

  1. Really wonderful ! Keep writing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Made me reborn too. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully expressed , I could experience the same magic again, through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhi superb write-up. We women give birth n experience the whole process of it, every one pampers us in this entire process, but know one understands the feeling of the father . You have expressed it in very little words but very large way. Keep writing n expressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing man... You writing is beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dada, I am speechless, it was like I am witnessing the journey along with you.. a wonderful right up and want to see more .. so keep writing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Khoopach chhaan lihita aahes. Manala agadi bhidun rahat. Amhala milalela anand phirun anubhavala.Chhaan lihitos asach lihita raha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I retrospect on happiest moment of my life, only one thing pops up.
    It was when my daughter was handed over to me.
    Even now I can feel the goosebumpish tingling happiness with awe filled abated breath.
    This piece of writing reminded me that bundle of joy.
    I could visibly see and sense transference of the smile from newborn to newborn (father).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone, the event itself was so wonderful that it etched itself in my heart. A wonderful one in the journey I have had so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Those Hands !!

Back to School?

Some things don't change !